Electric Water Heater hot water Valve and pressure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric Water Heater hot water Valve and pressure

I live in a townhouse apartment, we have an upstairs and a downstairs. we have a leak coming from under my bathtub, it's leaking onto the ceiling in the room below, and leaking through the air conditioner vent in the ceiling of that room. The problem is the hot water on my bathtub is continuously flowing, not a lot but a little, it won't shut off completely... so, we figure the constant flow of hot water through the pipes must have damaged it, and now it's leaking through the ceiling below the bathtub... we can't get anyone to come by and fix it until around Monday or even later... but it's leaking constantly, and we need to stop it right now... I've tried turning off the hot water valve on the electric water heater, and it stops the leaking but I didn't know if I can leave it like that for days and if that's safe or not. (without completely shutting down the water heater, and without completely shutting off the water to the apartment)

So my question is, can I turn off the hot water valve on the water heater, cutting off the hot water to the rest of the apartment, and then turn on one of the faucets in the apartment to hot water, and leave it on, (which I read relieves the pressure) and then just leave it like that for days, or even a week, and will that be safe? (again, without completely shutting down the water heater and without completely shutting off the water to the apartment) I tried researching it and all I could find was a video where a plumber says to turn off the hot water valve on the water heater and then turn on the hot water on one of the faucets in the house, to relieve the pressure... but I'm not sure if I'm able to leave it like that for a long period of time or not... every video I can find only talks about completely shutting down the water heater, by turning the water off completely, and then turning off the water heater, by puling the lever that shuts off the electric flow to it, and then relieving the pressure manually, and then draining the water out by connecting a hose to the water heater... yeah that sounds like fun.

So, I want to know if I can just turn the hot water valve on the water heater to the off position, and then open one of the hot water faucets and leave it on, to relieve the pressure, and then leave it like that without the water heater blowing up...
    or do I need to also turn off the water heater by shutting off the electric flow to it... Or do I need to just shut it down completely and relieve the pressure manually and then drain the water out with a hose, or cut off the water flow to the entire apartment...
    thanks in advance for any help.

Hi Yes you can just turn the water to the water heater off, and relieve the pressure from another faucet, But just to be extra careful, turn the breaker to the water heater off also, it wont blow up either way, but the top element in the water heater may burn out, if the power is left on.
    I answer all plumbing and heating questions, all day long.

Comment

I have a PB boiler with oil heat I have no hot water. My guage reads 190c and 0 psi? Checked breakers and hit the reset button

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X