Leak in stand alone shower

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leak in stand alone shower

I believe the leak is coming from the drain and leaking into the wall coming through into my dining room. My question is how would I fix this type of leak?

It depends on the type of drain fitting that was used. some have a set ring that compresses a rubber washer, this type can be fixed from inside the shower stall, other types are just glued, and the ceiling needs to be removed to access it and make the repair. But It may not be the drain, it could be the shower pan under the stall, if it has a tile floor, or it could be coming from the faucet or shower head behind the wall.
    I answer all plumbing and heating questions, all day long.

Comment

This is on the first floor and its a slab foundation. No way to access it that I am aware of.
      So I need to get the drain screen off and look?

Comment

Is it a tile shower or a fiberglass shower with a plastic shower base?

Comment

Its a one piece fiberglass unit

Comment

Okay that makes it more simple.
            If you have this type of drain, it could be PVC ABS or brass but it can be sealed from inside the shower stall.
            https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-AB...0842/100174549

To test if it is the drain, fill a 5 gallon bucket with water from another fixture, do not use the shower faucet to fill the bucket,
            Then pour the water in to the shower stall, if it leaks, it is the shower drain, if not, it may be water is getting behind the faucet trim or there is a leak at the shower head inside the wall.

Comment

Yep already did that and thats where the leak is from.
              OMG you have made my life so much better!!!!!
              thank you for all your help

Comment

If you like you can remove the strainer, take a picture of the drain and post it on this forum,
                I can tell you what your options are, A temp fix would be clear 100% silicone.

Comment

You are welcome.

Comment

Its not allowing me to upload a photo amd when I can the file is too big

Comment

Send it to my cell phone 845-325-9830

Comment

but it doesnt look like there is any threads to screw in the cover. But I did notice a small spiderweb crack near the drain

Comment

I see a few cracks, This is a big problem, to my knowledge there is no after market repair kit for this kind of problem, I will look into it and see if someone has made a simple fix tor this, so the best thing to do not is use the 100% clear silicone.
                          Make sure it is very dry, and put the silicone all around the rim and the section between the drain and the pipe, you will need to remove all the crud from the fitting first.

Comment

I found something follow this link
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoUxzuE3XcE

Comment

So dont use the clear silicone or use it? Can I use that on the fine cracks??

Comment

Go ahead and use the clear silicone, cover everything with it, all the cracks, around the outer flange and inside the flange to the pipe.
                                The other thing is a more permanent fix, but may open a can of worms, because you are on a slab.

Comment

Ssshhhh dont be jinxing me....lol
                                  thanx again for your assistance

Comment

No I don't want to do that, good luck with this project.

Comment

So went and bought the smallest drain fitting and didnt work. The picture doesnt show that the drain is maybe 1/4 inch higher the the shower pan. Would an epoxy work better then silicone?

Comment

Probably not, the silicone is more flexible and will not crack.
                                        Clean the area the best you can, and make sure it is dry before using the silicone.

Comment

Ok thanks appreciate your help again

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                          No announcement yet.
                                          Working...
                                          X